Metabolic syndrome is a combination of medical disorders that, when occurring together, increase the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Metabolic syndrome is also known as cardiometabolic syndrome, insulin resistance syndrome.
Metabolic risk factors are:
- Abdominal obesity or “having an apple shape”- Visceral fat in the abdominal area is a greater risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
- A high triglyceride level (Triglycerides are a type of fat found in the blood)
- A low HDL („good”) cholesterol level.- This is because it helps remove cholesterol from your arteries. A low HDL cholesterol level raises your risk for heart disease.
- High blood pressure – Blood pressure is the force of blood pushing against the walls of your arteries as your heart pumps blood. If this pressure rises and stays high over time, it can damage your heart and lead to plaque buildup.
- High fasting blood sugar – Mildly high blood sugar may be an early sign of diabetes. (more…)